Tuesday, October 23, 2012

End of Year Pre-Algebra

There have been a few times that a student will be getting ready for their pre-algebra final and get no help from their teachers as to what will be on that test. A few years ago, I ended up making my own multiple choice test for an overview of pre algebra test online. I thought I would share with you. 

It has topics in it like ratios, proportions, fractions, probability, stem and leaf plots, area and perimeter, and much more. There are 39 multiple choice tests. In the choices, I would do one correct answer and then some of the other answers I would solve it with common mistakes students make like forgetting to change the sign of the inequality when it's multiplied by a negative. 

Get a free copy of my overview of pre-alebra by clicking on the image of it below. It will open in Google Docs and you can save it from there. If you find any errors, please let me know. I've checked it through, but there are times when a calculation gets past me.


As I tutor my student through this test, we talk about strategies to get through the test quicker. I teach them to look over all the answers and estimate what they think the answer would be. They can then cross out which ones they know it couldn't be. I train them to solve the problems backwards if they are unsure where to start. For example, the student could take the answers and plug them into the equation to see if they work. 

These are just a few of the ideas I have for teaching test prep for a multiple choice test. What ideas do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment